Saturday, September 8, 2012

Ok, so I'm thinking I might just do a weekly update. I keep forgetting that I have a blog because I'm not used to keeping one. Maybe I'll eventually remember every day. Until then, here's an update for my first week of my internship. I'll warn you that it's quite long, so I apologize in advance for that!

Tuesday was my first day at the internship, and I got there SUPER early. I wasn't sure how long it would take me to get there on a weekday, and I figured I'd probably get lost. Well, it only takes about 15 minutes on the Metro and then maybe a 5 minute walk. So far I've only gotten turned around twice, but I think I know the landmarks to get me in the right direction from now on - as long as the Results Gym and CVS don't close down or move! There is one other editorial intern, and we both reported Tuesday. That first day consisted of a lot of orientation-like stuff. We were introduced to everyone on the staff, which was actually smaller than I was expecting! Then we got our badges, so we could be official and be allowed to get up to the offices without checking in at the security desk every day. Not too much work, but a lot of setting stuff up and getting situated for the next day. A really good thing about this internship is that we're allowed to sit in on any of the meetings.

Wednesday we had our first true jobs. We had to cut out and put up the pages for the April (I think) 2013 issue. It's amazing how far ahead they work! And we were able to finish setting everything up once we got our email passwords. Now we're really official! We also got the task of sorting the submissions received so far for the International Photography Contest into each of the four categories. Then we went through the old issues of the magazine, when it was called National Geographic World, for the archives. It was really cool seeing the events and how information and knowledge has changed since as far back as 1975. On top of that, we got to keep any of those old issues if we wanted or else they were going to be recycled! Let's just say I have a few new magazines and Stephanie has a few more resources to pull from when she starts student teaching.

Thursday was my first day as the only intern. The other intern is working Monday through Wednesday, so Thursday and Friday are my solo days, although Dori had to come in anyways for a library orientation. After finishing up with the old Worlds, I got a new assignment to help with an "Amazing Animals" database. Although it's time consuming and a little tedious, it's cool to get to read all of the stories and compile all of them from throughout the years, starting with 2000. It's also funny to see what was in each magazine. First they dealt with the new millennium and kids in 2000. Then they had a behind-the-scenes story for both Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and The Lord of the Rings first movie. It's fun to see the design change (the name didn't change from World to Kids until 2001) and the content.

Friday I spent the majority of the day continuing to go through the "Amazing Animals" sections. I did get to sit in on my first "Wall Walk," though, which was really cool! The Wall Walk is where the staff go through an entire issue as it is at that moment and make any changes that need to be made and introduce interactive ideas for the iPad app. And it is called the Wall Walk because the pages are hung up on the wall for everyone to see. I definitely didn't have a lazy week, but that's a good thing! I'd rather have something to do than sit there twiddling my thumbs.

And on a side note about National Geographic, the staff cafeteria is REALLY good! I ate there Tuesday and Wednesday, and I was really impressed with the food. If I forget my lunch, I won't be upset that I have to eat in the cafeteria.

Saturday was a crazy day! Mariah, Katy and I decided to go to the National Geographic Museum because it was free, and I figured I'd go and see the things I missed when I went with my parents. After making the hour-long walk there, we waiting in line for another hour. It was worth it, though, and everyone enjoyed it. And of course as we're leaving it starts sprinkling. Then as we're 5 minutes or so from the station we need, the heavens open up. We finally made it to Gallery Place, so we could find a restaurant to eat in and wait out the weather. And we couldn't just take the Metro back because this weekend the part of the red line we use is closed for maintenance. Luckily they have free shuttles, though, which were pretty nice. We finally make it back, and then I realize the TCU game is about to start in Fort Worth. So Mariah and I had a crazy trip trying to find the sports bar that was playing the game. It's going to be so much easier once the games are on ESPN! We eventually found one and convinced the manager to let us stay for the end of the game, even though there was a private party there. We met three alums that were already there and enjoyed our 56-0 victory!! It was awesome to see Horned Frog football in D.C., and it felt nice to still be able to cheer on our boys!!

Well this update was far too long, so I will be trying to update every day from now on. We'll see if that actually happens, but maybe if I keep telling myself I'll do it, I might actually do it! Until then, GO FROGS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment