Friday, August 24, 2012

Today was our first "relaxed" day of class. We went to the Newseum for about half of the day. If you ever get a chance to come to D.C., go to the Newseum. I know it sounds boring, but it is one of the most interesting museum I've seen. Even if you're not interested in journalism or news, it has so much history (down to the first newspaper) that it is well worth everyone's visit. Also, the cafeteria wasn't half bad!

They have so many things related to news, journalism and history in the store also. I finally got something "Keep Calm and Carry On"that actually said "carry on" and that wasn't TOO touristy. It was a tumbler! :)


Then after a fairly relaxing afternoon, I went into D.C. with Katy and Mariah for dinner. We found an Irish pub/restaurant called The Dubliner. It not only had a fabulously friendly pub atmosphere, but the food was actually really good too (I had the Shepherd's Pie)! And not only that, they offer Magners Cider (a.k.a. Bulmers Cider in the UK)!!! Unfortunately the night we went just happened to be one of the nights they switched Magners out for Angry Orchard Cider. Although it wasn't the Irish cider I was looking for, it was mighty good. I finished it, and those of you who know me well know how much that means! Irish-born Brian Gaffney played live music while we were there, also, which added to the experience. Even though the majority of the stuff he did was Irish, he did throw in a cover of John Denver's "Country Roads." It was a really fun version because everyone within earshot knew the song and was singing along. And to add to the appeal, The Dubliner is only a block from Union Station, so I know I'll be back at some point over the semester. We even talked about becoming regulars. I'll keep you posted, and we'll see if that happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment