Monday, October 22, 2012

Well I figure I should start with a clean slate on Monday, meaning I need to post something now before I go to bed.

Let's start with Thursday. A group of us left work early to visit the Renwick Gallery's "40 Under 40" exhibit. It was actually pretty cool to see some of the works of art some people can create, from a piece of quilt-looking art made out of 35 mm film or a chair that comes out of a flat piece of wall art to fold into a 3D full chair. I don't know if I'd try to actually sit in it, but it is a real, proper chair! And, of course, they had an "enlightenment" room and a yarn room, which was literally a room made out of yarn! It's always good when you can take something away from an art gallery. I truly walked away with something after I bought a blue/green necklace that was made out of fabric, so it was the lightest necklace I think I've ever felt. I wore it on Friday, and I actually forgot I was wearing it.

Friday was a usual day. I didn't do anything exciting because it was a gloomy, lazy day. After work I got home and finished catching up with "Once Upon a Time." It has become my new TV obsession! Now I can watch it at its regular time. If you haven't seen it, it's about all different fairy tale and children's storybook characters. I don't want to say too much in case anyone reading this wants to go watch it for themselves. (It's only on season 2 right now, so you still have time.) If you like fairy tales and children's stories with a little twist, you'll probably like this show!

Saturday I had a class trip to the Newseum and finally got to see the 9/11 exhibit. It is so emotional going through there. It has a video of journalists who were covering the attacks, a section of the broadcast antenna from the North Tower and the front pages of what seemed like every newspaper from around the world. The Newseum in general is a place everyone should visit while in D.C., if you get a chance. There's a lot to see, but it's all so interesting, whether you like the news or not! I mean, where else can you see a paper copy of the paper detailing the start of the Revolutionary War or the very first New York Times?

Then, of course, we had to watch the TCU game. Unfortunately it ended in a loss, but I guess I can't be too upset that the loss came in 3 over-times. Judging from that, I don't think anyone can say it was a very convincing loss. I do wish we'd won though. I couldn't watch the last quarter and a half because I left to go to the DC United game with my roommates and some of their friends. The game was a lot of fun! RFK Stadium could use some sprucing up, but it's not a bad stadium. It started out as a boring game, but once the teams started scoring, the place came alive. At first I found myself just kind of clapping, like I would at the end of a play's scene, but then it started becoming an exciting game. Soon I was getting anxious as the score was 2-1 with the Columbus Crew ahead. Then we tied it up. And then in the first minute of three minutes of stoppage time, DC scored it's third goal and went on to win the match 3-2! When that third goal hit the back of the net, I was jumping up and down with my hands in the air just like the scarf-wearing season ticket holders around me. I witnessed a truly great moment in the season as the win led DC onto the playoffs.


On our way back from the game, I ran in to Lisa from work, which was so random, but really cool also. Then, we just so happened to choose the same Metro car as a guy smoking a joint. Needless to say, we stayed on for as short a time as possible! Made for a true DC/city moment for sure.

Sunday was another pretty lazy day. From inside our apartment, it just looked like a winter day, even though it was nearly 70 degrees and sunny. The day just involved homework, football and grocery shopping. I tried to make my grandma's chicken fried steak strips. They weren't bad, especially for my first try, but they certainly didn't match the ones that she makes. I'm going to try again now that I think I know what I did wrong and what I should do next time.

Now it's time to start a new week!

No comments:

Post a Comment