Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Ok, sorry, I know I've been terrible again! I'm just giving you the highlights so far. All through work days, it's pretty much the same with a few exceptions (I'll get to that!). But for the most part it's simply go to work, work, come back and do it again.

Postal Museum
On the first day of October, Mariah and I went to the Postal Museum. It sounds boring, but it was actually pretty cool! First of all, did you know the U.S. Postal Service has a mascot? It does! It's a dog that got tags from every post office he visited. I think he had been to just about every state and a few foreign countries also. Also, did you know the Titanic was a mail ship. RMS didn't mean Royal Majesty's Ship, it actually meant "Royal Mail Ship." The Hindenburg also had a lot of mail on board. Some of it was salvaged after its tragic final flight. I also got to sit in the cab of a U.S. Postal Service's big rig 18-wheeler. It's nice in there!

set up for TWC Gala
Then Monday night we all had the TWC Gala. The food was great and it was kind of a nice change of pace. I also got to wear my fancy dress for something besides a sorority/fraternity formal! :)

Olympic sign at the picnic
Thursday was the NGK picnic. It really was a lot of fun! I played dodgeball, cornhole (a.k.a. bean bag toss), badminton, watermelon eating contest and water balloon toss. I'm not the best at cornhole and I came in 5th out of 6 people in the watermelon eating contest, but it was all a lot of fun! Not only was it a good to get outside on a weekday, but I also feel like I got to know a lot more people and learn more about people I already knew.

Washington Monument & reflecting pool
Friday wasn't too interesting until about 8 at night. Mariah and I decided to walk the National Mall because we didn't go on the night tour with the TWC group. Washington at night is so pretty!! I also found out that my camera can actually take some really good photos! All of the other pictures I took are at the end of this post. I couldn't get them all to fit in this little area.


Library of Congress ceiling

Library of Congress inside
Then Saturday we went to the Library of Congress, saw Thomas Jefferson's personal library and also got a library card! The building is so pretty inside!

Sean Paul

After we finished up there, we started to head toward Gallery Place/Chinatown for the TCU-Iowa State game. Before I get to the game, we ran into a street festival. We didn't think anything of it, but stopped because the music was good. Well, it turned out the performer was none other than Sean Paul! Now back to the game, it was the one most wish didn't end the way it did. It was the first game without Casey Pachall and with Trevone Boykin as the starting quarerback. Unfortunately, he didn't have the necessary practice time, and TCU got its first loss. Don't worry, this story has gotten better since the Iowa State game.

Spirit of St. Louis
Sunday was a full day also. It was a gloomy day, but we went to Eastern Market, which is a nice little farmer's market with many types of goodies to be found. Then we headed down to the Air and Space Museum. Mariah left after the guided tour, but I stayed until they announced the museum was closed at 5:30. I think I saw everything I wanted! I could probably spend another day in there, though. I took a lot more pictures than just of the Spirit of St. Louis, but they haven't been uploaded yet. Those will come later.


Pictures from the National Mall:

Lincoln Memorial
Capitol

Texas
Washington Monument and Capitol
White House












WWII Memorial

No comments:

Post a Comment